Sunday, August 25, 2013

Dining Gluten Free in Greece




Traditional Greek Breakfast

With the help of a friend, I compilied a list of authentic Greek dishes that may naturally be gluten free before embarking on my spontaneous Greece trip.

While short, I hope this list will give anyone traveling to Greece a few ideas when dining out.  As always though, make sure to double check!

Breakfast- this meal was my lifeline during my trip as it was always a safe bet.  Everywhere we stayed the breakfast consisted of greek yogurt, an assortment of fruit, cheese, local meats, bacon, hard boiled eggs and on occasion potatoes, scrambled eggs and bacon (to appease the American travelers I'm sure).  One word of caution though: ask about the salami before eating it.  I found that our Athens hotel's salami was actually a beer cured salami.  Strange, I know.

Greek Salad
Greek Salad- This salad is very refreshing and is simply cucumbers, red onions, bell peppers, tomato, olive oil, capers and feta cheese. Word of Caution: In Crete I’ve read they may include cracked wheat.

Svoulaki-traditional meat skewer that’s brushed with olive oil, lemon and oregano.  It’s typically served on pita bread, so make sure to order it without the pita.  Word of caution: you may run into cross-contamination issues as most skewers are grilled alongside their pita counterparts.
Svoulaki and Greek Salad

Dolmas-vine leaves stuffed with rice, vegetables and possibly lamb.  Everyone makes them differently, so make sure to ask before ordering.

Paidakia-grilled lamb chop usually seasoned with only lemon, oregano and salt.

Gemista- vegetables like tomatoes or peppers stuffed with minced meat and then baked.

Arakas Me Anginares- peas and artichokes mixed with olive oil and baked in the oven.

Kotopoulo sto fourno me patates- Oven roasted chicken or lamb served with a side of potatoes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment