Saturday, September 7, 2013

Gluten Free Restaurant Review: Kenny's Italian Kitchen in Addison Tx


When eating out, there’s a moment that will make even the seasoned Celiac feel a twinge of envy.  Yes, I’m talking about the moment the hot communal bread is set on the table.  I remember being a newly diagnosed Celiac and finding this to be one of the toughest challenges to overcome. Hey! It’s tough being hungry and watching your friends devour a delicious loaf of steaming hot bread!  Who wouldn’t be a bit jealous? But more on that later.

One afternoon we were celebrating a coworker’s birthday and found ourselves at a quaint Italian restaurant down the street called Kenny’s Italian Kitchen.  Being a Celiac, I figured I’d order a salad and then snack on chips or something once we got back to the office.  Not a big deal, we were celebrating a birthday after all!

Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan
When we sat down I was surprised to see the restaurant offered gluten free pasta and our waiter was extremely helpful. Once I put in my order for gluten free pasta, the waiter promptly brought out a steaming loaf of gluten free French bread.  That’s right, gluten free French bread.  I think I left my body for a few seconds I was so overjoyed and excited.  This bread was out of this world too.  Crispy on the outside, steaming hot on the inside with an incredibly light and fluffy texture.  I have no shame in admitting I ate the whole thing.  When lunch was over, I asked for a to go box for the remaining pasta and they included a new loaf of gluten free bread for me to take home!  To make matters even better, they didn’t even charge extra for the gluten free bread or pasta!! We had found a gem for sure.

I went back a few weeks later looking for a carb fix and hoping to see what else they could make gluten free.  After some convincing from the waiter, I decided to try the chicken parmesan (gluten free) over gluten free pasta with vodka sauce.  While the breadcrumbs did taste a bit different, the meal was decadent and something I don’t think I’d had since being diagnosed 5 years ago! And of course, it was accompanied by an amazing loaf of gluten free bread.

If you’re in the area, I strongly suggest paying Kenny’s a visit.  Not only do they carry gluten free pasta, but they can make their Italian sandwiches gluten free, fry anything on the menu to be gluten free (think chicken parmesan) and will top off your gluten free dining experience with a fabulous gluten free chocolate mousse.  Okay, so what could be better?  Well, you may want to sit down for this one.  The restaurant will actually prepare gluten free lasagna, made from scratch, if you call at least a day ahead of time.  What could possibly be better?!

The restaurant pride’s itself on serving the best gluten free products around, and those products happen to come from a local bakery in Carrollton.  I’ve also been reassured that the kitchen does an excellent job of keeping gluten free foods separate at all times to avoid cross contamination.  So feel comfortable and taken care of when visiting Kenny’s.  I am still impressed with the food, service, and care when it comes to gluten free dining and will be back many times. This is definitely a ‘must’ for Celiacs living in the DFW area.
Gluten Free Bread at Kenny's Italian
Gluten Free Pasta with Vodka Sauce


No comments:

Post a Comment